Early Learning and Development – Why It Matters!
The first three years of a child’s development are amazing! A child’s early learning and experiences provide the basis for shaping their brain and how they will ultimately function throughout their life.
Did you know …..
- Brain development begins before birth and continues throughout life, but the first 3 years are the most critical!
- Children’s positive early learning experiences play a critical role in brain development
- While brain development takes place in stages, the rapid speed at which a young child’s brain develops far outpaces any other stage in a person’s life.
- By the age of two, a child’s brain structure is approximately 80% the size of an adult’s brain.
What are the benefits early learning and child development services?
Studies have shown that children who achieved the developmental milestones with the aid of early learning developmental services have demonstrated significant benefits over their lifetime:
- Reduced special education and other services later in life
- Easier transition into K- 12
- Higher levels of verbal mathematical and intellectual achievements K-12
- Better academic performance in general throughout their lives
- Higher graduation rates
Nobel Prize Winning Economist, James Heckman, of the University of Chicago has a particularly impactful way to describe the need to focus on children’s development and learning at an early age.
“We cannot afford to postpone investing in children until they become adults, nor can we wait until they reach school age–a time when it may be too late to intervene. Learning is a dynamic process, and is most effective when it begins at a young age…interventions at an early age…have proven to be highly effective.”
What are the things to look for in the development of my child?
Understanding the stages of child development helps parents know what to expect and how to best support the child as she or he grows and develops. When should my child be grasping a ball or when should they have control over their head movement? teli has assembled a valuable resource listing of child development stages for your reference if you have questions about your child’s progress.
How can teli help address any children’s developmental concerns you may have?
teli has a wide range of Early Intervention Services that teli can coordinate to meet the individual needs of your child. Click on this Early Intervention Services link to understand more and how teli can help!